The 2016 24-mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim was stopped mid-way by high winds. “With winds that gradually increased, the conditions led to a change of the cross-bay swim to a safer triangular contingency course.”
But even the sheltered course was too much.
“After battling for almost three and a half hours on an alternate course, we decided to halt the marathon swim due to safety concerns for the swimmers, boaters and kayakers,” describes race founder Ron Collins.
Collins was the first person to swim across Tampa Bay in 1998 and started organizing the event the following season. Over two decades overseeing the longest sea swim in America, he has seen nearly every condition possible in Tampa Bay on the west coast of Florida.
The 2017 Tampa Bay Marathon Swim will be held on April 22nd with hopes for more favorable conditions.
The 38.6 km point-to-point course will feature the following swimmers and relays next month:
Solo Swimmer Psych Sheet:
* Kristian O’Donovan, 37-year-old from Glenbeigh, Kerry, Ireland [swimming on March 17th]
* Patty Hermann, 57-year-old from Houston, Texas, USA
* Dan Fritz, 53-year-old from Chicago, Illinois, USA
* John Batchelder, 36-year-old from Littleton, Colorado, USA [swimming on April 1st]
* Heather Roka, 31-year-old from Ft. Myers, Florida, USA
* Jay Eckert, 30-year-old from Sarasota, Florida, USA
* Liz Fry, a 58-year-old from Connecticut
Relay Psych Sheet:
* Mighty Mermaids Relay with Tracy Grilli (60), Nancy Steadman Martin (62), Christie Ciraulo (63), Veronica Hibben (60), Karen Einsidler (61), Jenny Cook (59) [swimming on on April 1st]
* Squid Marks Relay with Dinah Mistilis (42) and Anita Hyde (34)
* SwimGuzzlers Relay with Kevin Curley (58), Glenn Baker (54), David Heffernan (57), Craig Bartlett (59), Peter Gold (45), Tom Welch (57)
* Parcells Paddlers Relay with Marcia Cleveland (52), Scott Lautman (64), Dennis Dressel (65), John Wilbur (71), John Waanders (56)
* Mad Milers Relay with Elizabeth Fry (58), Margaret Gaskill (59F), James Clifford (65), Henry Eckstein (69), James Bayles (65)
* Bizarro World Relay with Marcy MacDonald (53), Scott Coleman (62), Gene Sardzinski (61), Thomas Casey (57), Dan Robinson (59M)
For more information, visit here.
Copyright © 2008-2017 by World Open Water Swimming Association