Luis Escobar of Mexico finished 18th at the 2008 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim in Beijing. He continued to swim on the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup and the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix circuits until 2012, but he eventually retired and became a civil engineer and moved to Toronto.
But Rob Kent sensed his passion for the open water had not waned.
Rob and his son Dylan recently hired Escobar to help them continue to grow the Global Swim Series that was nominated for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year among 11 other innovative products, services, publications and media offerings.
The nominees for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year include the following:
1. 48 Braçades by Miquel Suñer (Spain)
2. Blue Journey Dangerous Waves Project with Bruckner Chase (USA)
3. Global Swim Series by Rob Kent & Dylan Kent (Canada)
4. LongSwimsDB by Evan Morrison (USA)
5. New York Open Water by David Barra, Rondi Davies & Alex Arévalo (USA)
6. Open Water Swim Academy by Dan Simonelli (USA)
7. Outdoor Swimmer by Simon Griffiths (Great Britain)
8. Sea Donkey with Adrian Sarchet (Guernsey)
9. Shark Bait by Dr. Seán O’Connell (Bermuda)
10. Swim Argentina by Matías Ola (Argentina)
11. The Channel of Bones with Toni Enderli (South Africa)
12. Travessia do Leme ao Pontal by Adherbal de Oliveira & Renato Ribeiro Barbosa (Brazil)
The Global Swim Series by Rob Kent and his son Dylan Kent were nominated as follows, “Father Rob Kent and son Dylan Kent envisioned a global connection between open water events around the world. Their platform became the world’s largest open water swimming network called the Global Swim Series. Through social media marketing and word-of-mouth, over 75,000 swimmers in 115 races across 30 countries have now participated in the rapidly growing phenomenon. When a campaign like the Global Swim Series can so easily and quickly connect swimmers across six continents, the sport and the creative vision of Canadian father and son have arrived.
For the professional marketing platform that enables viral expansion around the globe, for the production of a competitive ranking system that equally awards speed and participation, and for its inspirational, joyful message across borders, the Global Swim Series by Rob Kent and Dylan Kent is a worthy nominee for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.“
To register and vote on the WOWSA Awards and the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year, visit here.
For more information on the Global Swim Series, visit here.
Copyright © 2008-2017 by World Open Water Swimming Association