Courtesy of Lexie Kelly, Waikiki Beach, Oahu, Hawaii.
After winning the FINA 5 km world championships and the recent RCP Tiburon Mile in San Francisco Bay, it would have been very difficult for any women to beat Ashley Twichell today at the 3.8 km Waikiki Roughwater Swim on Oahu.
It was a beautiful day with rainbows and tropical blue skies as Twichell found herself in the lead pack surrounded by really fast men, hanging on to the blistering pace around the last turn buoy.
She finished strongly into the finish at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Duke Kahanamoku Beach.
3-time Canadian Olympian Stephanie Horner followed in second and two-time winner Becca Mann from USC followed in third.
Race results to follow shortly. Interviews of athletes posted here.
Top 5 Women’s Results:
1. Ashley Twichell 45:23 [first woman, 6th overall]
2. Stephanie Horner 48:56 [second woman, 14th overall]
3. Becca Mann 49:12 [third woman, 15th overall]
4. Phoebe Hines 49:44 [fourth woman, 20th overall]
5. Catherine Breed 49:48 [fifth woman, 21st overall]
Copyright © 2008-2018 by World Open Water Swimming Association