Courtesy of Yaniv Cohen and FINA, Eilat, Red Sea, Israel.
There is a different kind of pressure when you swim in an individual race and when you swim as a representative of your country in a relay.
The athletes who raced in the team relays on the third and final day of the 2018 FINA Open Water World Junior Swimming Championships in the Red Sea faced the latter kind of pressure.
12 national teams with 4 swimmers per team competed in the Team Relay that was open to 14 – 16 year old swimmers. In the 14 – 16 year division Team Relay, four swimmers each swam 1,250 meters.
Although South Africa shot out in the lead on the first leg with a fast swim by Hendrik Louw, it was Szilard Galyassy of Hungary who brought home victory with a fast anchor leg. Galyassy finished first in 56:48.1 with the USA’s Jackson Carlile finishing next in 57:31.8 and Italy’s Federico Mazzeo in third in 58:10.0.
4 x 1250m 14-16 Division Results
1. Hungary 56:48.1 (Viktoria Mihalyvari, Mira Szimcsak, Zoltan Tabi, Szilard Galyassy)
2. USA 57:31.8 (Chase Travis, Connor Hunt, Mariah Denigan, Jackson Carlile)
3. Italy 58:10.0 (Giulia Salin, Iris Menchini, Luigi Galdieri, Federico Mazzeo)
4. Russia 58:10.9 (Daria Kartseva, Ivan Morgun, Elisaveta Chernikina, Aleksandr Stepanov)
5. Canada 59:32.1 (Michael McGillivray, Kenna Smallegange, Emma O’Croinin, Frederick Alexander Axon)
6. South Africa 59:56.4 (Hendrik Johannes Louw, Dylan Wright, Hannah Colleen Pearse, Rebecca Anne Meder)
7. China 1:00:09.5 (Haonan Xu, Dingsiman Song, Jiake Sun, Tianlong Liu)
8. Israel 1:01:27.1 (Ziv Cohen, Orr Horev Levy, Mia Engleder, Vita Ziguelboim)
9. Brazil 1:01:36.1 (Ricardo Parmezan, Beatriz Koinaski, Cibelle Eichelberger, Bernardo Marini Gavioli)
10. Ecuador 1:02:30.0 (Leslie Cabezas Morocho, Ana Abad Cedeno, Danner Suarez Jordan, Matias Cordero Corral)
11. Kazakhastan 1:03:55.3 (Sergey Prissyazhnyuk, Yevgeniya Din, Vladislav Glukhov, Kamila Valiyeva)
12. India 1:08:06.2 (Shane Lional, N. Settihalli Shivamakur, Kshitija Kumravelu, Mandar Maruti Desurkar)
Copyright © 2008-2018 by World Open Water Swimming Association