Among the thousands of river swims and canal swims around the world, there are the World’s Top 100 Rivers Swims of 2019 that include interesting, unique, beautiful and exciting < that can involve solo, stage, competitive, relay or charity open water swimming or served as swim vacations that are held to, from, on, in, near or around rivers and canals.
The World's Top 100 River Swims include the following, listed alphabetically:
1. 1.PKO Winter Swimming is the tradition of winter swimming by 1.PKO in the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic
2. 2 Bridges Swim Under The Walkway, 2.5 km and 5 km in the Hudson River in New York, U.S.A.
3. 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim, 193 km down the Hudson River in New York, U.S.A.
4. 20 Bridges Manhattan Island Swim, 45.9 km circumnavigation swim around Manhattan Island in the Hudson River, East River and Harlem River in New York City
5. 40 Bridges Swim, 91 km twice counterclockwise circumnavigation swim around Manhattan Island in the Hudson River, East River and Harlem River in New York City
6. Ada Medjica Swimming Marathon, 2.5 km and 5 km on the island of Ada Medjica on the Sava River in Belgrade, Serbia
7. Amsterdam City Swim, 2 km in the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam, Netherlands
8. Arizona Canyons, 6-day SwimTrek swimming holiday with 5 km per day swims in the Salt River, Arizona, U.S.A.
9. Bantham Swoosh, 6 km in the Bantham estuary in Devon, United Kingdom
10. Big Swim Derwent River Marathon, 34 km in Hobart in the River Derwent in Tasmania, Australia
11. Bill Keating, Jr. Great Ohio River Swim, 1.8 km between the states of Ohio and Kentucky across the Ohio River, U.S.A.
12. Bosphorus Cross-Continental Swim, 6.5 km in the Istanbul Strait from Kanlica in Asia to Kuruçesme in Europe that connects the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara in Turkey
13. Baltimore Open Water Swim, 1.6 km and 4.8 km in the Magothy River, Maryland, U.S.A.
14. Brcko Distrikt International Swimming Marathon, 2 km upstream and 9 km downstream in the Sava River in Brcko, Bosnia & Herzegovina
15. Charles River Swim, 1.6 km in the Charles River between Harvard Bridge and Longfellow Bridge in Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
16. Château de Chantilly Swim, 1.6 km, 2.5 km and 5 km in the Grand Canal in front of the Château de Chantilly, France
17. Chattanooga Rat Race, 3.86 km and 7.24 km downstream along the Tennessee River, Tennessee, U.S.A.
18. Club to Pub, 1.5 km held in the River Thames in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, U.K.
19. Cohuna Bridge to Bridge, 1.5 km and 8 km on the Gunbower River in Cohuna, Victoria, Australia
20. Columbia River Cross Channel Swim, 1.5 km in the Columbia River from Pasco to Kennewick in Washington, U.S.A.
21. Cruce del Rio Negro, 3.5 km in San Gregorio de Polanco, Uruguay
22. Cruce a Nado del Río de la Plata, 42 km between Argentina and Uruguay
23. Dart 10k, 10 km down the River Dart in Devon, England
24. Damme-Brugge Open Water Swim, 5 km in the Canal Hoeke – Sluis in Belgium
25. Dee Mile, 1 km and 2 km in the River Dee in Chester, UK, outside of Liverpool
26. Descenso a Nado de la Ria de Navia (Navia’s Downstream Swim), 1.1 km, 1.7 km, 3 km and 5 km down the Ría Navia in Spain
27. DownRiver Rip, 4 km and 7.08 km in the Upper James River in Midlothian, Virginia, U.S.A.
28. Ederle-Burke Swim, 25.9 km in the Hudson River from Battery Park in New York City to Sandy Hook, New Jersey, U.S.A.
29. END-WET, 57.9 km down the Red River between Grand Forks, North Dakota and Oslo, Minnesota, U.S.A.
30. Epiphany Swimming for the Holy Cross of Honour, 33 meters in the River Sava in Šabac, Serbia
31. EDF Aqua Challenge – Paris, 1.25 km, 2.5 km and 5 km in le Bassin de la Villette in Paris, France
32. EDF Aqua Challenge Toulouse, 500mn, 1.5 km, 3 km, and 5 km in Garonne in Toulouse, France
33. Fire Cracker 8K swim, 8 km between Nimbus Dam and Folsom Dam in Sacramento County,California
34. Flying Fish Swim – Kariega River, 5.5 km tide-assisted up the Kariega River in Kenton-on-Sea, South Africa
35. Ganga River Long Distance Swimming Competition, 10 km down the Ganges in Patna, capital of Bihar, India
36. Grand Dublin Swim, 10 km in River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland
37. Great Ohio River Swim, 1.8 km between the states of Ohio and Kentucky across the Ohio River
38. Greater Manchester Swim, 500m, 1-mile, 3-mile dock-to-dock in the Salford Quays in Manchester, U.K.
39. Harmonie Mutuelle: Open Swim Stars – Paris, 1 km, 2 km, 2 km fins, 5 km, 10 km, 1 km Team Challenge and 11.5 km SwimRun races in Canal de l’Ourcq, Paris, France
40. Henley Swim Classic, 2.1 km upstream in the River Thames over the Henley Royal Regatta course in Great Britain
41. Hetric Swim Challenge, 500m, 3.8 km, 8 km in Nete, Geel, Belgium
42. Hever Castle Swim, 1.6 km, 2.5 km and 5 km in Castle Lake and River Eden and circumnavigates 16 Acre Island around Hever Castle, U.K.
43. Hong Kong to Macau Swim, 35 km from Hong Kong to Macau across the Pearl River estuary
44. Huka XStream River Swim, 3.3 km in the Waikato River in Taupo, New Zealand
45. Hurly Burly, 10 km tidal-assisted swim organized by the Outdoor Swimming Society in North Wales on the edge of Snowdonia
46. Ice Mile in River Vltava, Prague, Czech Republic
47. Indian National Open Water Swimming Championships, 81 km down the Ganges and Bhagirathi River in Berhampore, Bengal, India
48. Indian National Open Water Swimming Championships, 19 km down the Ganges and Bhagirathi River in Berhampore, Bengal, India
49. International Challenge of Swimming Across The Yangtze River, 1.8 km cross-river in Wuhan, China
50. International Limit Challenging Race of Crossing Yellow River Qinghai China, 500m across the Yellow River at 2,200 meters in northwest China’s Qinghai Province in the Tibetan Plateau
51. Jarak-Sabac Swim Marathon (Plivački maraton Jarak-Šabac), 19 km in the Sava River from Jarak (Јарак) to Šabac, Serbia
52. Kanjiza Running & Swimming Festival, 3 km and 7.5 km on the river Tizsa in Kanjiza, Serbia
53. Lapland Adventure Swimming Holiday, 7-day swimming holiday in the Torne River organized by Swimming Holidays in Finland
54. Liberty To Freedom Swim, 3.54 km from the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor to the Freedom tower in downtown Manhattan Island, New York, U.S.A.
55. Liffey Swim, 2.2 km in the River Liffey through Dublin, Ireland
56. Lock to Lock 4K, 4 km in the River Thames through Oxford University, in Cumnor, Witney, Oxfordshire from Eynsham Lock to Kings Lock in the U.K.
57. Lock to Lock 10K, 10 km from Farmoor to Godstow Lock in the River Thames downstream through the Wytham Woods and Oxford University pastures in the U.K.
58. Marlow Classic, 1.5 km and 3 km in the River Thames in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, U.K.
59. Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe – Coronda, 57 km down the Río Coronda in Argentina
60. Maratón Internacional Hernandarias – Parana, 88 km from Hernandarias to Paraná down the Río Paraná in Argentina
61. Maratón Patagones Viedma, 15 km down the Rio Negro in Viedma, Argentina
62. Martin Duggan Memorial Swim, 2 km in the River Blackwater in County Cork, Ireland
63. Montenegro Fjords, 7-day swimming holiday in fjords, lakes, Morača River and the sea in Montenegro by SwimTrek
64. Paso a Nado de los ríos Orinoco y Caroní (Orinoco River Swim), a 3.1 km cross-river between Río Orinoco and Río Caroní in Bolívar, Venezuela
65. Portland Bridge Swim, 17.2 km through Portland in the Willamette River, Oregon
66. Poseidon Swim Challenge, 800m and 2 km in the Indiana Central Canal in Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
67. Rio Negro Challenge Amazonia, 1.5 km, 3 km and 30 km from Iranduba to Manaus partly along the Rio Negro Bridge in the Rio Negro in Brazil
68. River Adur 5K Swim, 5 km downstream in the River Adur in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, U.K.
69. River Mile, 1.6 km in Redhouse on the Swartkops River, South Africa
70. River Nene Swimming Championships, 1.6 km and 3.2 km in the River Nene, Oundle, Northants, U.K.
71. River to River Swim, 5 km from the Deben River to the River Orwell in the North Sea off Felixstowe in Suffolk, England
72. River Spey 10K Whisky Swim, 1.6 km, 5 km and 10 km in River Spey in the Cairngorm National Park, Kingussie, Scottish Highlands
73. River Thames Classic British Swim, SwimTrek Adventure Swimming Holidays, 1-2 day swimming holiday in the River Thames, U.K.
74. Riverkeeper 4k, 750m, 1.5 km and 4 km in the Ottawa River in Ottawa, Canada
75. Roermond City Swim, 500m, 1 km and 2 km in Rur and Meuse in Roermond, Netherlands
76. Rose Pitonof Swim, 27.3 km from Manhattan Island to Coney Island in New York, U.S.A.
77. Round Christiansborg Swim, 2 km in the canals in Christiansborg in Copenhagen, Denmark
78. Roy Webster Cross-Channel Swim, 1.77 km in the Columbia River across to Hood River in Washington, U.S.A.
79. Sandy Point Current Cruiser, 500m and 1.5 km at Waratah Beach Inlet in Sandy Point, Victoria, Australia
80. Slovenian Lakes and River, 4 km daily average on a 4-day swimming holiday organized by Strel Swimming Adventures in Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj, and Soca River
81. Spuyten Duyvil 10K, 10.5 km in the Harlem River and Hudson River, New York, U.S.A.
82. Swim Across America – Richmond Open Water Swim, 0.8 km, 1.6 km, 3.86 km and 8 km in the Upper James River in Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.
83. Swim The Arctic Circle, 2 km and 3 km cross-border swim between Juoksenki, Finland and Juoksengi, Sweden in the Torne River
84. Swim The Canal, 6 km in Greece across the Corinth Canal (Isthmus)
84. Swim The River Arun, 6.5 km in the Arun in West Sussex, UK organized by SwimQuest
85. Swim The Suck, 16.1 km swim through the Tennessee River Gorge, Tennessee, U.S.A.
86. Traversée de Bordeaux à la Nage, 1.7 km in Garonne, Bordeaux, France
87. Traversée Hivernale da la Meuse, cross-current winter swim across la Meuse in Huy, Belgium
88. Thames Marathon, 14 km from Henley-on-Thames to Marlow on the River Thames in Great Britain
89. The Swim with Altitude or Copeton Freshwater Swim, 250m, 600m, 1 km, 2.5 km, 5 km in the Copeton Dam on the Gwydir River in Australia
90. Three Rivers Marathon Swim (3RMS), 30 km in the Ohio River, Monongahela River and Allegheny River in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
91. TYR Champions Cup – Ветрено, 1 km, 1.85 km, 3 km, 12 km, and 24 km in River Sit in the Rybinsk Reservoir in Russia
92. TYR Champions Cup – Lipetsk, 1 km, 1.85 km, and 5 km in the River Voronezh in Lipetsk, Russia
93. TYR Champions Cup – Veliky Novgorod, 1 km, 2.5 km and 5 km in the Volkhov River in Novgorod Oblast, Russia
94. Up the River Downtown Swim, 10 km along St. Johns River through Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.A.
95. Vansbrosimningen, 1 km, 1.5 km, 3 km and 10 km in the Vanån River and the Västerdalälven River in Sweden
96. Vibes & Scribes Lee Swim, 2 km in the Lee River through the centre of the City of Cork, Ireland
97. Villa Urquiza (or Maratón Internacional Aguas Abiertas Villa Urquiza – Paraná, 25 km down the Paraná River in Paraná, Argentina
98. Welsh Open Water Estuary Swim, 3 km around the River Towy Estuary between Ferryside and Lansteffan and Llangain, Wales
99. Weser-Marathon Schwimmen, 42.195 km down the Weser from Rinteln to Minden in Germany
100. Xstrata Nickel Swim Thru Perth, 2.2 km and 4 km on the Swan River from Barrack Street Jetty to Matilda Bay in Perth, Australia
Other bucket lists of open water swims include:
* World’s Top 100 Open Water Swims
* World’s Top 100 Island Swims
* America’s Top 100 Open Water Swims
* Africa’s Top 100 Open Water Swims
* Asia’s Top 50 Open Water Swims
* Mexico’s Top 50 Open Water Swims
* World’s High-Altitude Swims
* Most Difficult Swims In The World – Northern Hemisphere
* Most Difficult Swims In The World – Southern Hemisphere
* Top 10 Competitive Open Water Races In America
Copyright © 2008-2019 by World Open Water Swimming Association