The film Big River Man of Martin Strel‘s stage swim down the Amazon River is among the 20 nominees for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
The new World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award is meant to identify products and services that (1) best support and assist open water swimmers achieve their goals, (2) are innovative, unique and beneficial to open water swimmers, race directors, coaches or administrators, and (3) have made the most positive impact on the world of open water swimming during the calendar year.
The nominations are meant to recognize some of the best and innovative commercial and free offerings that open water swimmers can enjoy.
Extreme swimmers, disabled swimmers, ice swimmers, marathon swimmers, professional swimmers, administrators, coaches, pilots, and swimmers from all walks of life have used, purchased and benefited from an increasingly number of products and services introduced over the few years.
The nomination of the Big River Man reads,
“When Martin Strel challenged the Amazon River in 2007, the audacity of his dreams was defined by the power, length and dangers of the mightiest river in the world. Mother Nature had the upper hand from beginning to end, but the strength of his character carried Big River Man to victory. Piranhas and pirates, jungles and jeopardy, heat and hazards, the Slovenian adventurer slogged and struggled his way down the entire length of the Amazon River together with a 22-person international support crew. His unprecedented feat against Mother Nature in the steamy tropics was captured on film to astound viewers sitting in the comfort of their homes. The multi-dimensional, multi-lingual Strel is the charismatic character in the center of the world’s wildest movie set. With success never guaranteed during his 66-day stage swim, his exploits are showcased in Big River Man. For its footage in the most unlikely open water swimming venue, for Strel’s continuous support of the open water swimming world, Big River Man is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.”
The 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year nominees are (listed in alphabetical order):
1. Big River Man by Martin Strel
2. Channel Swimmers’ Chat Group by Nick Adams
3. Cork Distance Week by Ned Denison
4. FINIS SwiMP3 X18 by John Mix
5. Foggle by Karen Smidt-Allard
6. In My Element by Theodore Yach
7. iSwimToo by Stephen Coulter
8. Marathon Swimmers Forum by Evan Morrison & Donal Buckley
9. Midmar Mile Facebook Integration by Wayne Riddin
10. Night Train Swimmers by Vito Bialla
11. Ocean Care Solutions by Ron Adley
12. Open Water Swimming Insurance by Travis England
13. Oceans Seven Project by Red Bull Media House
14. RC Helicam by Andrew Martens
15. SWIM Channel by Patrick Wrinkler
16. SwimIT by Rick Senn
17. SwimPhone by Club Assistant
18. SwimTrek by Simon Murie
19. TakeItLive by Chris Lundie
20. Toa o le Tai Program by Bruckner Chase
21. The Henley Swim by Tom Kean
Online voting will take place here at WOWSA until December 31st.
Big River Man is a feature documentary starring Martin Strel directed by the acclaimed art-house director John Maringouin. The film chronicled Strel’s 3,300-mile daunting swim down the Amazon River. It won a Best Cinematography prize at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival, and was critically praised for its extraordinary blend of comedy and drama.
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source