The World Open Water Swimming Association announced its 15 nominees for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
The World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year is meant to honor the individual who (1) best embodies the spirit of open water swimming, (2) possesses the sense of adventure, tenacity and perseverance that open water swimmers are known for, and (3) has most positively influenced the world of open water swimming during the year.
The nominations are meant to recognize and honor some of the best that the global open water swimming world offers. Reducing the number of nominees to 15 was extraordinarily difficult due to the incredible efforts and exploits of thousands of individuals in the sport. Extreme swimmers, disabled swimmers, ice swimmers, marathon swimmers, professional swimmers, and swimmers from all walks of life thoroughly impressed their peers, the public and the media with their open water swimming exploits throughout 2013.
The 2008 recipient was Randy Nutt of the USA. The 2009 recipient was Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria. The 2010 recipient was Marcos Diaz of the Dominican Republic. The 2011 recipient was Jamie Patrick of the USA.
The 2012 nominees are (listed in alphabetical order of their first name):
1. Benjamin Schulte (Guam) – Fearless Olympic Marathoner
2. Craig Dietz (USA) – The Limbless Waterman
3. Colin Hill (Great Britain) – Olympic Showman
4. Doug Woodring (Hong Kong) – Ocean Environmentalist
5. Milko van Gool (Netherlands) – Humanitarian Swimmer
6. Oussama Mellouli (Tunisia) – Olympic Champion
7. Pierre Lafontaine (Canada) – Able & Ambitious Administrator
8. Ram Barkai (South Africa) – Mindful Ice Man
9. Salvatore Cimmino (Italy) – Swimming in the Seas of the Globe
10. Stephen Redmond (Ireland) – Oceans Seven Pioneer
11. Thomas Lurz (Germany) – Ambassador and Gentleman
12. Trent Grimsey (Australia) – English Channel Record Breaker
13. Wayne Riddin (South Africa) – Midmar Mile Director
14. Wayne Soutter (South Africa) – The Unthinkable
15. Morrie Chiang (Taiwan) – Sun Lake Moon Director
Online voting is taking place here until December 31st.
Copyright © 2012 by World Open Water Swimming Association