Courtesy of WOWSA, Huntington Beach, California.
After years of planning and politicking, the selection of the location of the 2024 Summer Olympics is turning out to be between two large global cities.
Several candidate cities expressed interest in hosting the 2024 Olympics including Rome (Italy), Nairobi (Kenya), Casablanca (Morocco), Durban (South Africa), Johannesburg (South Africa), Doha (Qatar), Brisbane (Australia), Paris (France), Berlin (Germany), Hamburg (Germany), Copenhagen (Denmark), Saint Petersburg (Russia), Kiev (Ukraine), Budapest (Hungary), Istanbul (Turkey), Baku (Azerbaijan), and Los Angeles (USA).
As the bids were announced, city by city fell by the wayside, leaving the lead pack of Rome, Paris, Budapest, and Los Angeles.
But Rome and Budapest pulled out, leaving only Paris and Los Angeles as the two possibilities to host the world’s Olympic athletes and the 2024 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim.
Throughout the history of the Olympic Games, swimming events have been held in the following open bodies of water:
* 1896 Athens Olympics (Games of the I Olympiad): Bay of Zea off the Piraeus coast in the Aegean Sea of Greece
* 1900 Paris Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Seine River in Paris, France
* 1904 St. Louis Olympics (Games of the III Olympiad): Man-made pond near Skinker and Wydown Boulevards in St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
* 1906 Athens Intercalated Games: Neo Phaliron Bay off the coast of Athens, Greece
* 2008 Beijing Olympics (Games of the XXIX Olympiad): Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park (顺义奥林匹克水上公园 or 順義奧林匹克水上公園 in Chinese), outside Beijing, China
* 2012 London Olympics (Games of the XXX Olympiad): Serpentine in London, UK
* 2016 Rio Olympics (Games of the XXXI Olympiad): Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
* 2020 Tokyo Olympics (Games of the XXXII Olympiad): Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay, Japan
If Los Angeles wins the 2024 Olympic Games bid, we had imagined the site of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim would have been selected among the following possibilities along the Southern California coast:
* Manhattan Beach
* Santa Monica Beach
* Huntington Beach
* Long Beach
* Castaic Lake
Ultimately, Long Beach was selected and if Los Angeles gets the bid, the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim will be held along the Long Beach waterfront at the Long Beach Sports Park [see map above and here].
France or America, the River Seine or Long Beach…where will the 2024 Summer Olympic Games be held? Stay tuned to find out from the IOC this September.
Copyright © 2008-2017 by World Open Water Swimming Association