James Janik Achieves Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
Editor’s Note: In an earlier edition, James Janik was incorrectly identified as the winner of the 20 Bridges Swim. He finished second to Zach Margolis.
The swimmers started from Mill Rock at East 96th Street in the Harlem River. They swam counter-clockwise around Manhattan Island.
The swimmers passed under 20 bridges: George Washington Bridge, Spuyten Duyvil Bridge, Henry Hudson Bridge, Broadway Bridge, University Heights Bridge, Washington Bridge, Alexander Hamilton Bridge, High Bridge, Macombs Dam Bridge, 145th Street Bridge, Madison Avenue Bridge, Park Avenue Bridge, Third Avenue Bridge, Willis Avenue Bridge, Triborough Bridge, Wards Island Bridge, Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge, Manhattan Bridge and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Zach Margolis (30, San Francisco, USA) 7:33:03 [Triple Crown achieved]
- James Janik (42, Colorado, USA) 7:35:43 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Avishag Turek (43, Shefayim, Israel) 7:39:12 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Fiona Mildner (39, East Sussex, Great Britain) 7:41:26
- Elizabeth Almond (44, Georgia, USA) 7:43:53
- Melanie Holland (43, Norfolk, Great Britain) 7:45:37
- Anna-Carin Nordin (47, JÃttendal, Sweden) 7:50:37 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Mark Sheridan (44, Kent, Great Britain) 7:52:27 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Cynthia Werhane (49, Oregon, USA) 7:52:45
- Steve Stievenart (41, Hauts de France, France) 7:55:09
- Gerald Devin (53, Wicklow, Ireland) 8:11:22
- Melissa Blaustein (30, California, USA) 8:14:55
- Janice Burton (55, Maryland, USA) 8:15:11
- Samiir Wheaton (48, Rajasthan, India) 8:24:53
- Jessi Harewicz (35, Vancouver, Canada) 8:37:34 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Tim Garrett (55, New South Wales, Australia) 8:40:49
In addition to Janik, Zach Margolis, Avishag Turek, Anna-Carin Nordin, Mark Sheridan and Jessi Harewicz all achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming with their 28.5-mile circumnavigation swim around Manhattan Island.
Janik had previously crossed both the Catalina Channel (in 10 hours 37 minutes in 2015) and the English Channel (in hours minutes in 2018):
For more information about the 20 Bridges Swim around Manhattan Island, visit www.nyopenwater.org.
Copyright @ 2008 – 2019 by World Open Water Swimming Association