Mark Sheridan, Spectacular Swimming And Serving In The Open Water
Courtesy of Rondi Davies, New York.
One of the luminaries was Mark Sheridan from Kent, UK.
The 44-year-old Sheridan does a lot in the open water swimming community – from writing a popular blog to help educate swimmers and serving as the Honorary President of the British Long Distance Swimming Association to working as the swim secretary/race director of the BLDSA 9-mile Champion of Champions event in Dover Harbour, U.K.
He explains why he does so much for the open water swimming community, “I enjoy sharing my experiences to help others reach their goals and giving back to this wonderful sport on a voluntary basis.“
In addition to being one of only a few individuals in history to have completed the entire British Long Distance Swimming Association calendar and becoming the first British athlete to complete a 69 km crossing of Lake Geneva, taking 33 hours 6 minutes to join the 24-hour Club, he recently swam around Manhattan Island on June 1st in 7 hours 52 minutes 27 seconds to achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
Official 20 Bridges Swim Results:
- Zach Margolis (30, San Francisco, USA) 7:33:03 [Triple Crown achieved]
- James Janik (42, Colorado, USA) 7:35:43 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Avishag Turek (43, Shefayim, Israel) 7:39:12 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Fiona Mildner (39, East Sussex, Great Britain) 7:41:26
- Elizabeth Almond (44, Georgia, USA) 7:43:53
- Melanie Holland (43, Norfolk, Great Britain) 7:45:37
- Anna-Carin Nordin (47, JÃttendal, Sweden) 7:50:37 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Mark Sheridan (44, Kent, Great Britain) 7:52:27 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Cynthia Werhane (49, Oregon, USA) 7:52:45
- Steve Stievenart (41, Hauts de France, France) 7:55:09
- Gerald Devin (53, Wicklow, Ireland) 8:11:22
- Melissa Blaustein (30, California, USA) 8:14:55
- Janice Burton (55, Maryland, USA) 8:15:11
- Samiir Wheaton (48, Rajasthan, India) 8:24:53
- Jessi Harewicz (35, Vancouver, Canada) 8:37:34 [Triple Crown achieved]
- Tim Garrett (55, New South Wales, Australia) 8:40:49
In addition to Sheridan’s success, James Janik, Avishag Turek, Anna-Carin Nordin, and Jessi Harewicz also achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming with their individual 28.5-mile circumnavigation swims around Manhattan Island.
For more information about the 20 Bridges Swim around Manhattan Island, visit www.nyopenwater.org.
Copyright @ 2008 – 2019 by World Open Water Swimming Association