Ned Denison Achieves The Circumnavigation Sevens Many Times Over
Sponsored by KAATSU Global, Huntington Beach, California.
It was a fortuitous meeting of two prolific ocean swimmers and global circumnavigation swim specialists. Denison was the first swimmer to achieve the Circumnavigation Sevens in 2020 – and may have set a record that may take many years, if not decades, to be broken. The Vermont native has completely – to date – over 2,300 career circumnavigation swims around 16 different islands around the world. He is ideally located to continue adding to his world record because he lives 5 km from Sandycove Island in Kinsale, Ireland, his usual training location where he oftens completed multiple laps around the island.
Kostich is closing in on his own Circumnavigation Sevens with a 19 km solo swim around Bora Bora in French Polynesia in 2013, numerous 4.3 km swims around Naples Island in Long Beach, California, the 20.1 km Swim Around Key West in Florida in 1998 and 1999, and a 9.8 km circumnavigation swim around Pitcairn Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in 2019.
But Denison has set the Circumnavigation Sevens standard. The islands that Denison has circumnavigated include:
* 51 km around the Isle of Jersey in the English Channel in 2010
* 45.9 km around Manhattan Island in New York City in 2007
* 27 km around Valentia Island in County Kerry, Ireland, first circumnavigation swim in 2008
* 26 km around Great Island (Cohb) in County Cork, Ireland, first and only circumnavigation swim in 2006
* 17.7 km around Anacapa Island in California in 2016
* 11 km around Robben Island in Cape Town, South Africa in 2011
* 10.5 km around Reengaroga Island in County Cork, Ireland in 2019
* 7 km around Cork City in County Cork, Ireland, first and only circumnavigation swim in 2019
* 4 km around Spanish Island in County Cork, Ireland, 3 times between 2015 and 2019
* 3 km around Ballycotton in County Cork, Ireland, 3 times between 2009 and 2016
* 3 km and 5.5 km around Sovereigns in County Cork, Ireland, 5 times between 2009 and 2018
* 3 km around Skellig Michael in County Kerry, Ireland in 2010
* 3 km around Garnish Island in County Cork, Ireland, 8 times in 2015 and 2018
* 1.9 km around Blueberry Island in Green River Reservoir, Vermont, USA in 2016
* 1.6 km around Sandycove Island in County Cork, Ireland as lap leader of Sandycove Island, 2,259 times between 2000 and 2020
* 1.5 km to 3 km around Lough Ine in County Cork, Ireland, 20 times between 2003 and 2020
Copyright 2008 – 2020 by World Open Water Swimming Association