Thomas Lurz Talks About His Career And Rivals On WOWSA Live
Sponsored by KAATSU Global, Huntington Beach, California.
Two-time Olympic medalist (2008 and 2012) and multiple world champion Thomas Lurz was a renowned hard worker and respected as a gentleman by his competitors.
* racing the last 400 meters against David Davies and Maarten van der Weijden during the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
* remembering the world-class training group in Germany that included swimmers from Petar Stoychev to Swann Oberson
* getting in cold pools early in the season and racing against his competitors in 14°C – 16°C water
* training every day including Sundays and holidays including Christmas while experiencing a type of aquatic schadenfreude
* winning races from 5 km to 25 km at the 2013 FINA World Championships
* facing yourself first and then facing your opponents at the next level including Spyros Gianniotis and Oussama Mellouli
* being coached and pushed by his older brother Stefan Lurz
* winning medals at the 5 km (a bronze against Oussama Mellouli and Eric Hedlin), 10 km (a silver against Spyridon Gianniotis and Oussama Mellouli), 25 km (a gold slightly ahead of Brian Ryckeman and Evgeny Drattsev), and 5 km team relay (a gold with Christian Reichert and Isabelle Härle) at the 2013 FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain
* feeling healthy and working out in retirement
Copyright 2008 – 2020 by World Open Water Swimming Association