Luciano Cotena Talks About Capri-Napoli On WOWSA Live
Sponsored by KAATSU Global, Huntington Beach, California.
On the June 22nd edition of WOWSA Live, long-time race director and promoter Luciano Cotena talked about the history and personalities of the 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli, one of the most historic and important races of the FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series.
* the 1949 race between 2 Italians in the “opposite” direction with Aldo Fioravanti and Cesare Alfieri swimming from Napoli to Capri Island in around 12 hours
* swimming greats like Irene van der Laan, Shelley Taylor-Smith, Diego Degano, Angela Maurer, Ana Marcela Cunha, Damián Blaum, Paul Asmuth, and Claudio Plit
* the course records set by Vitalij Khudyakov in 6 hours 11 minutes and Ana Marcela Cunhaa in 6 hours 24 hours in 2014
* the footsteps of his father, a boxing promoter, and Lello Barbuto
* organization of the Capri-Napoli race with a budget of 100,000 euros, covered by sponsorships
* planning for the special race that will include the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame ceremonies on 2022
* planning for a new World Challenge race from Capri to Napoli that will be held on September 5th 2020 with swimmers from Spain, Italy, Ireland and the USA, and an unofficial challenge on September 11th 2020 that will include professional swimmers like Marcel Schouten, Ana Marcela Cunha, Andrea Bianchi, Sandra Frimerman-Bergquist and others
For more information about the September 2020 races, visit here.
Copyright 2008 – 2020 by World Open Water Swimming Association